Monday, March 31, 2008

Genius Ong Tee Keat interview with NST

"... yet for those know him well, we will be surprise not how good is he but how good is the interviewer / journalist was"

Tee Keat faces long road ahead

Datuk Ong Tee Keat has been on a vast learning curve since he took office as the new transport minister. The MCA vice-president tells EILEEN NG and DAVID YEOW about his first week in office, plans for the ministry and MCA’s future.

Q: How has your first week as transport minister been?

A: It has been a busy week with a series of meetings and briefings. It is a huge ministry to familiarise myself with. I need to learn as much as I can within the shortest time possible, not just in dealing with policy matters, terminologies, modus operandi and issues at hand within the different sectors but to meet public expectations as well.

I need to move speedily on the learning curve. I see this as not just an acid test on my learning capacity but as an opportunity to acquire as much knowledge as I can.

My meetings are not just a monologue. I interrupt my officers with questions. I will ask them questions similar to those bloggers ask. Some of them are shocked by my questions. Sometimes, I have to play the devil's advocate (to get the satisfactory answers).

Q: How has your family reacted to your appointment?

A: My family has been very supportive. This was particularly true when my political career almost came to an end many years ago. It has not been easy but my wife and three daughters understand what I am doing.

Q: What do you do to relax?

A: I love creative writing, listening to oldies and classical music and watching movies. But with my new portfolio, I don't see myself indulging in them much any more.

Q: How busy have you been since taking office?

A: In terms of working hours, it contravenes existing labour laws (laughs). On average, I work more than 12 hours a day, excluding meal times. I'm referring to solid work. I usually start after 8am and work through the night.

Q: Public expectations for the ministry are high, especially as it is considered one of the "hottest" ministries around. How are you coping with that?

A: I believe in active engagement and reaching out to the people by providing an efficient and practical way for them to voice their grouses and concerns.

I believe in taking a consultative approach, meaning there must be avenues for stakeholders of the transport industry, the public and non-governmental organisations to voice their concerns on policy matters as well as provide feedback on their implementation.

We must understand their views and only then can we talk about initiatives to improve the transportation system.

Q: How can the public contribute their views?

A: I am mindful of the necessity for the public to speak up. However, not everyone is IT-savvy. Therefore, I am exploring the possibility of having call centres and using radio stations as a platform to gather public's views.

Q: Do you think your training as an engineer will help in improving the ministry?

A: Yes. I was previously a mechanical engineer with six years' experience in the transport sector. This will help me speed up my understanding of the ministry and help me get the job done. For example, I will be keeping a checklist on current issues. I would be very much hands on, just like during my days as an engineer.

Q: What are your priorities?

A: There are three aspects, I will look into. Firstly, improving the ministry services by taking into account public views and comments.

Secondly, I will focus on our regional and international reputation. We are in the midst of developing Malaysia into a regional hub for transportation and increasing our competitiveness in the global arena is very important.

Finally, it would be about implementing new initiatives. I will adopt user-friendly and people-oriented approaches when it comes to implementation.

New initiatives must serve their purpose well.

Q: Of the previous transport ministers, Tun Dr Ling Liong Sik focused on the shipping sector while Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy was into aviation. What about you?

A: When I spelled out my three major concerns, you'd realise I did not go by sectors. I'm not trying to be overly ambitious but I will have a balanced approach. We cannot afford to have any sector trail behind the others.

Q: The cabinet gave the go-ahead for the mandatory use of seatbelts for backseat passengers in February. Have you touched on this issue since taking office?

A: We did talk about this during our recent post-cabinet meeting. We decided that before implementing anything, we need to first educate the public and keep them informed.

We need to convince them of the necessity for backseat passengers to use seatbelts. We need a certain level of public participation before we can expect a good level of compliance.

We will definitely implement the law, but like any legislation introduced, what I am more concerned about is that it ultimately serves its purpose.

This law is necessary and hopefully, we can implement it this year. But I don't want to mention anything about a grace period because we all know people's mentality when it comes to grace periods.

Q: How long would you give yourself to get the ministry rolling?

A: I don't want to impose a rigid time frame. Suffice to say, it will be done as fast as possible. I need to bear in mind that I am paid by the people to do my job.

I need to remain faithful and dutiful to the taxpayers, who are my paymasters.

Q: Any plans for higher summonses for road users who flout traffic rules?

A: This is not on my agenda. Summonses are just a punitive measure. Would raising summonses serve as a good deterrent for the offences? At the same time, we need to be mindful of the spiralling cost of living.

It is better to reinforce preventive measures like educating people on safe and responsible driving.

Q: What is the status of the Automated Enforcement System, which involves the use of cameras along highways and roads to track down errant drivers?

A: This is a major initiative to combat traffic offences, particularly speeding and beating the red lights. Currently, this proposal is under further evaluation.

We are not going to implement this unilaterally. For such an initiative to work, we must synergise efforts with various agencies, including the police and the Works Ministry.

Q: The new Selangor government has expressed its intentions to investigate alleged improprieties in the Port Klang Free Trade Zone.

A: The ministry welcomes all proposals, irrespective of the proposers' affiliations. We are open to it. This should be handled in the interests of the people and the nation. Not on partisan interest.

But I would advise the Selangor government to check their jurisdiction first.

However, we will not shut our doors to them because they are elected into office by the people.

Q: There is talk that you are challenging Datuk Seri Chan Kong Choy for the MCA deputy president's post.

A: I will only go for the post if Chan quits or decides not to seek re-election. I will never seek to challenge or try to unseat anyone.

More important now is for the party to conduct a comprehensive post- mortem at both federal and local levels on MCA's poor performance at the recent general election.

Q: Do you think the party's rejuvenation strategy has backfired?

A: Rejuvenation is unavoidable but it is a matter of scale and timing. Our poor showing is not attributed to one cause but to various factors.

Q: There have been calls by veterans for president Datuk Seri Ong Ka Ting to take responsibility for the party's dismal showing and resign. What do you think of such moves?

A: Everyone has his own views, but what is important is that unlike the politics in Japan, Taiwan and South Korea, we do not have a culture where political leaders take responsibility by bowing out.

What is important now is to study how we should reposition ourselves after this setback. This has to be done by assessing the true scenario that contributed to our poor showing and then reinvent.


This is indeed a very outstanding Q & A from Datuk Ong Tee Keat. Most of the question been answer clear & not over confident. He still a very outstanding politician... yet for those know him well, we will be surprise not how good is he but how good is the interviewer / journalist was. The journalist have done a most brilliant & outstanding job as he/she able to caught so many point from the process. If you know the politician very well you will know how good he can bring you walk around the garden before arrived back to your main question and by that time yourself will also blur what you want to ask!

No comments: