Wednesday, August 27, 2008

MY NEGARAKU

Negaraku
Tanah tumpahnya darahku
Rakyat hidup bersatu dan maju
Rahmat bahagia Tuhan kurniakan
Raja kita selamat bertakhta
Rahmat bahagia Tuhan kurniakan
Raja kita selamat bertakhta.



Its idiomatic translation is:

My country, my native land
The people living united and progressive
May God bestow His blessings and happiness
May our Ruler have a successful reign
May God bestow His blessings and happiness
May our Ruler have a successful reign.

I Still remember how I sing the "Negaraku" song when i was in primary school. Honestly to admit that i can fully understand and pronounce the lyric correctly only when i reach standard 6. Each time i sing the song I will look beside me....There is malays boy & girls with tudung, there is indian, there is Singh and others chinese like me. Therefore i truly understand the phrase

"Rakyat hidup bersatu dan maju"

In University time, I was ROTU/PALAPES. I still use to sing the song at least Once a week. So i can proudly say that i have been singing the national anthem once a week for the past 16 years!

What's the different?

In primary i can see Malaysian around me sing the song. In secondary i still can see Malaysian around me sing the song. In Form 6, I only can see Malays around sing the song....(certainly there is cheah, subra, babu etc) In university i only can see Malays around me sing the songs...(Out of 100 PALAPES same batch, only 11 chinese + 1 Sarawakian...)

Base on above personal experience, can i say that our patriotism, racial intergration, tolerance, understanding is all went wrong after primary or secondary? All when wrong when we grow up? All went wrong went we know what the meaning of "Malaysian" in real world?

I guess we'll never find the answer if we still ask our friends around... Because the "real" answer is with our children. They know the correct answer.





No comments: